Panik City: Udo Lindenberg’s interactive exhibition in the heart of Hamburg’s St Pauli neighbourhood
Hamburg, 20 March 2018 (HHT) – German rock legend Udo Lindenberg and Hamburg have been bound by strong ties for decades: Hamburg is the place where Lindenberg kicked off his music career in the wild 70s, the place where he has given countless iconic live concerts, and the city is even home to a dedicated Udo Lindenberg musical. And now Lindenberg, a long-term resident of Hamburg’s eminent Atlantic hotel, has been looking to create something even more lasting. Needless to say that a traditional museum was not what he had in mind – which is why he decided to go with an interactive, digital approach. Since 20 March 2018 visitors can experience the life and works of Udo Lindenberg as part of Panik City, a spectacular multimedia exhibition in the very heart of the St Pauli neighbourhood. For all those looking to explore this world of experience first-hand, Hamburg Tourismus is offering a package deal for a short break in Hamburg that includes arrival by Deutsche Bahn (ICE within Germany) as well as three overnight stays in Hamburg – available from €189.
Panik City, the new permanent Udo Lindenberg exhibition, combines the music, artwork and history of this iconic artist with state-of-the-art technology such as Virtual and Augmented Reality. Floor-to-ceiling panoramic walls, LED and mirror screens as well as VR glasses create an entirely new world of experience that enables visitors to explore Lindenberg’s universe with all their senses. During a 90-minute tour with Udo Lindenberg serving as a virtual narrator, visitors are led through the different stages in the life of this Hamburg institution. Moreover, guided tours with up to 20 participants at a time allow guests to immerse themselves in the unique high-tech environment of Panik City and to become part of the Udo Lindenberg experience. To learn more, visit www.panikcity.de.
Udo Lindenberg explains: “We love trying out new stuff. While others may be fond of tradition, we prefer creating new things – virtual worlds and all that. Working with that kind of technology is a real kick and a real challenge. Just like Disney’s Gyro Gearloose we have been trying out a bunch of ideas in a totally experimental way. It is a bit like putting a show together, and we love this kind of challenge. So this is our piece of work now – a place to explore Udo’s universe. I’d say it’ll be gigantic.”
Comprising 700 square metres of exhibition space, Panik City was established on the premises of Klubhaus St. Pauli, which is situated on the lively Spielbudenplatz square. Klubhaus St. Pauli with its multimedia façade includes a theatre, music clubs as well as several rehearsal rooms and has become a new hotspot for Hamburg’s music scene. Panik City is operated by Corny Littmann (owner of the adjacent Schmidt Theater and Schmidts Tivoli) and Axel Strehlitz (restaurant owner and producer.) Located just off Udo Lindenberg’s much loved Reeperbahn, the new interactive exhibition has definitely found the perfect home. After all, there is even a Lindenberg song extolling this legendary street in Hamburg’s former red-light district.
A Hamburg weekend on the trail of Udo Lindenberg
All those looking to explore the life and works of Udo Lindenberg and to follow in his footsteps around the St Pauli neighbourhood can book their special weekend deal through Hamburg Tourismus. So why not try e.g. the Bahnhit package deal, with prices starting from €189 per person, which provides an ideal basis for exploring Panik City and Hamburg’s exciting music scene. The package includes the following:
- 3 overnight stays in a selected hotel, including breakfast (additional nights can be booked on request)
- arrival and departure by Deutsche Bahn (ICE within Germany), with free choice of trains
- 1 Hamburg travel guide per room
- 1 Hamburg CARD worth €25.50 – the discovery ticket that includes free travel by bus, underground and HVV port ferry as well as 8% off the price of admission to Panik City
- free Hamburg App (available for download at www.hh-app.de)
The Bahnhit package deal can be booked at www.hamburg-tourismus.de/bahnhit or by calling our hotline on +49 40 300 51 701. Our Hamburg experts have compiled a wealth of information on other events and tickets too and will be happy to advise you and share their insider tips with you.
- Attached pictures are royalty-free for editorial use only. Please note that you are obliged to include the following credit: Hamburg Tourismus
- Additional royalty-free pictures are available at mediaserver.hamburg.de
- Media representatives can find further information on Hamburg’s music scene at https://marketing.hamburg.de/musik.html, on the nightlife around the Reeperbahn at https://marketing.hamburg.de/nachtleben.html as well as general Hamburg information at mediarelations.hamburg.de
Many more Hamburg tips for download or online at the following Websites:
- HHT website: hamburg-travel.com
- Hamburg CARD: hamburg-tourismus.de/card
- Calendar of events: http://www.hamburg-travel.com/experience/events/highlights
- Event app, including “culture alert”: hh-events.de
- Hamburg App: hh-app.de
Hamburg Tourismus GmbH
Wexstrasse 7, D-20355 Hamburg